29.4.12

as of last week i've began putting my left foot forward.

up until now, my front foot has always been my right. i mean, i'm not choosing favorites, but it seems like doing anything else is something that could be construed as a bad thing.

this comes up as i switched the side that put my guitar effects pedals from my right to my left. for those of you that know a bit about rock guitar playing, most right-handed guitarist are prone to this left side setup due to it's easing the power stance situation; you don't have to switch your feet back and forth, which can be meddlesome. i've delayed this move because my right foot has always been my best foot: my more accurate and preferred foot for football; i ride goofy-footed skateboarding and snowboarding putting my right foot forward; gas and brake; etc.

such a silly list.

but fact is, it's a welcome change. my left foot has always been strong in its support and my right wouldn't be the same without it. really, who's to say that my left wasn't my best all along?

so many times i've heard 'put your best foot forward.' it's cliche but ever true. but i have found it to be a shame that we don't always know which foot is actually the best foot. where the steps are actually leading us. what that foot looks like to others. so although all of this came from a silly, yet important change in my musical routine, the idea of my other foot possibly being the best foot in another persons eyes, or maybe even my own, is invaluable.

at this point, my left was just undervalued. but maybe it simply has been the best all along.

i can freely admit that i may have been going about things all wrong!

this is a frequent thought.

but now i will begin to put a different foot forward. and it looks promising.

until then---

3 comments:

Aaron said...

The subject of this post reminds me of a certain band from San Diego.

Also, I liked it!

Ed said...

you don't know how many times i tried to avoid somehow writing that certain bands name, haha.

-Aaron- said...

Apostrophe Police! You, sir, have an "it's" that should be an "its" and two places where an apostrophe should be where they ain't! Happy hunting.

Back to the point at hand (*ahem* foot!), i've always thought that your goofy-footed riding of boards was odd considering your favoring of the right foot in other activities.
I have always ridden with the right foot behind for more control in carving, more power in ollies, kickflips, etc.

They say that doing activities with an appendage you don't normally use is good for your brain--brushing with the opposite hand, starting up a staircase, kicking The Man in the hiney, etc. This makes sense to me in that it forces you to use parts of your brain that you wouldn't normally use, even if they're just similar regions in the opposite hemisphere of the brain. Also it seems to me that doing something new physically and having the discipline to keep at it would really give one the ability to make other changes in life, like dealing with unexpected circumstances or people, or starting a new way of thinking about and interacting with the world. I often try to do such physical switcheroos and succeed at a lot of them, although I think i attempt the toothbrushing thing less frequently because i am paranoid about my teeth not getting really clean and then i just end up getting frustrated and switching to the right, often because i am in a hurry or just too lazy to take the time to follow through with the left; to see the whole job through to completion. I think i will go clean Ye Olde Teethe with Ye Olde Lefte now.

And, as anybody reading this I think knows, the knee injury i had last year is still having some lasting effects on me, making my left knee/leg the better one.

So really we are both exhibiting behavior reminiscent of that certain band.

And for your post comment Moment of Zen from a brain video we saw maybe 8 months ago. It is REALLY funny in video form as emphasized by the lady who says this: "The brain in your head right now is the consistency of room temperature butter." *cut to finger pressing into a full stick of buttery butter*